mercredi 7 septembre 2022

Picking a favorite condiment

What is your favorite condiment asked a coworker? I would probably pick Currygewürzketchup.

I have discovered that on my second trip to Berlin a decade ago. After landing at the old Berlin airport I headed up outside for some fresh air and encountered a food truck. Being a little hungry I headed in that direction,, hoping I could discover a bit of the local cuisine. It was around 3pm which is an unusual time to pick up food in France. Unless your a young hipster or are clueless of France strict eating schedule, we observe a strict timing 7am, 1pm, 4pm, 8pm without snack in between.  Being in the vicinity of an airport it smelled like a tourist trap and my expectations were not that high.

As approached I noticed the waiting line was entirely composed of people in their very strict business attires (fancy suits for men, skirt suite and blouse for women with brief cases). It set me on alert, their outfits indicate they are most probably well educated and those people would probably not fall for the usual tourist crap food. I thus entered the line and the truck chef, in a perfect English, recommended me their classic: the currywurst.  It is pork sausage with a spiced tomato paste topped with curry powder.   It has been a revelation, and a few days later I went to walk more than one hour to head to the best currywurst place in Berlin since I needed my fix.

Aucun commentaire: